This is the time of year when students are honored and recognized for their achievements, but the tables were turned Tuesday night as students at the Ohio Hi-Point Career Center got to honor and recognize their favorite educators.
Photo: Row 1 (L-R): Amanda Enderle, Andrea Fout, Robin Curley, Superintendent Kim Davis, Shelby Shafer, Josie Brush, Deb Purcell; Row 2 (L-R): Tammy Heitmeyer, Andre Miller, John Wilson, Laura Donnelly, Joseph Antram, Ryan Gilbert, Suzanne Lafferty, Celestine Niswonger; Row 3 (L-R): Trevor Morris, Logan Smith, Jessica Frazier, Abigail Adkins, Christine Longbrake, Zachory Kapphahn, Berry Reames, Nicole McNamara, Tanisha Breaston. Not Pictured: Laura Rettig
In the fourth year of the event, the top 15 students at the Career Center nominated the teacher who offered them the most inspiration during their careers. Event organizer and Career Center Guidance Counselor Lynne Hall explained that those nominated did not necessarily have to be a current teacher. Students could pick anyone who inspired them over the years, including high school, Sunday School, sports, or music teachers. One student last year chose to honor her grandmother.
Listen as Trevor Morris explains why he nominated Tammy Heitmeyer
Superintendent Kim Davis, noting that the 15 students have risen to the top, reported that it was educators such as those being honored that inspired the students to perform to their potential and that recognizing both the students and educators was ‘double the enjoyment’. She further noted that Kleenex were readily available, a prescient statement as both tears and laughs followed during the presentation.
This text will be replaced
Watch as Ryan Gilbert accepts his honors from Berry Reames and Shelby Shafer
The educator honorees were awarded with a large plaque, while each student was given a medallion and a certificate of outstanding achievement.
The honorees and students who nominated them are as follows. Instructors are from the Career Center unless otherwise noted:
- Laura Donnelly, RN, Health Technology Instructor, by Abigail Adkins (Urbana High School) and Christine Longbrake (Riverside High School)
- Debra Purcell, RN, Health Technology Instructor, by Tanisha Breaston and Celestine Niswonger (both of Bellefontaine High School)
- Laura Rettig, Biology Instructor at Upper Scioto Valley, by Josie Brush (USV High school)
- Robin Curley, Animal Management Technology, by Amanda Enderle (Bellefontaine HS) and Andrea Fout, (Benjamin Logan High School)
- Tammy Heitmeyer, RN, Health Technology Instructor, by Jessica Frazier (Ben Logan HS), Trevor Morris (Riverside HS), and Logan Smith (USV HS)
- Joseph Antram, Band Instructor at Bellefontaine HS, by Zachory Kapphahn (Bellefontaine HS)
- Suzanne Lafferty, HS and MS Band Instructor at Ben Logan, by Nicole McNamara (Ben Logan HS)
- John Wilson, Diesel Technology Instructor, by Andre Miller (Waynesfield-Goshen HS) (Wilson and Miller are pictured left to right.)
- Ryan Gilbert, Honors English 12 Instructor, by Berry Reames (Bellefontaine HS), and Shelby Shafer (WLS HS).