Marysville chiropractor Dr. Katie Benson (pictured) continued her three-part series at the Bellefontaine Kiwanis meeting Thursday afternoon at the Masonic Center.
Dr. Benson spoke on nutrition. She said 60 percent of American adults are overweight and 30 percent are obese. 55 percent of Ohio adults are obese or overweight.
3,400 Americans are diagnosed with cancer each day; 1,500 Americans die from cancer each day.
Weight gain can lead to several health problems. Benson said gaining 15 pounds doubles the risk of Type 2 diabetes and gaining 22 pounds increases heart attack risk by 75 percent. Obesity doubles your risk of heart failure and triples the risk of breast cancer for women.
Benson offered these suggestions:
1. Eliminate sugars.
2. Cut out grains.
3. Remove bad fats and add good fats. Some of the bad fats are margarine, Crisco, canola oil, and shortening. They should be replaced with good fats like butter, extra virgin coconut oil, raw nuts, raw cheese, fatty fish, good beef, and avocados.
The top ten reasons to avoid sugar are:
1. Sugar is the primary cause of obesity.
2. Sugar increases the acidity of the body.
3. Sugar causes inflammation.
4. Sugar is the primary reason for high cholesterol.
5. Sugar causes hormonal and metabolic imbalances
6. Sugar is your fast track to diabetes.
7. Sugar is a known toxin.
8. Sugar leads to heart disease.
9. Sugar is an anti-nutrient.
10. Sugar promotes cancer.
In 1931 Nobel Prize Winner Dr. Otto Warburg said, “Cancer, above all other diseases, has countless secondary causes. But even for cancer, there is only one prime cause. Summarized in a few words, the prime cause of cancer is the replacement of the respiration of oxygen in normal body cells by a fermentation of sugar.”
Benson said as a nation we keep getting fatter and thicker. She urged us to make a conscious decision to reverse this to be healthier.
Next week Dr. Benson will speak about an exercise program.