Engines from Bellefontaine and Tri-Valley Fire were on the scene for 3.5 hours Friday in an effort to put out a fire that eventually destroyed a residential structure at 408 West Sandusky Avenue in Bellefontaine.
The residence had been converted into three separate apartments. Officials believe the fire started in Apartment B, occupied by William Walters. Officials determined the cause to be an “unattended cooking fire”.
Sidney Ball in apartment A, Walters along with Jessica Ball in B, and Faisal Alawdi in Apartment C escaped. Two of the residents were treated at the scene - one for smoke inhalation.
The fire caused $80,000 damage.
The structure is owned by Mary and Rick Henry of Bellefontaine.
The local chapter of the Red Cross was called to assist the occupants.
No smoke detectors were noticed at the scene.